Monday, March 23, 2009

Trivia #8 : World's Most Famous Photo

I am a photo of Mr.X taken by Alberto Korda on March 5, 1960.

I was not published internationally for a period of seven years.

I am called by the Maryland Institute College of Art, a symbol of the 20th century and the world's most famous photo.

Victoria and Albert Museum, the world's largest museum of decorative arts and design in London says that I am the most reproduced photo in the history of photography.

There is a story of how I became famous. Giangiacomo Feltrinelli, an Italian publisher wanted a photo of Mr.X to promote a book to be published by him about Mr.X. He was directed to Alberto Korda, as he would be in possession of various photos of Mr.X. Korda gave this publisher me when I was not known to the world much. The publisher used me to promote the book which went on to sell a million copies. It is said that if the publisher was to give one lira (the Italian currency) for each of my reproduction to Korda it would run into millions. But Korda did not demand money for this reproduction and for that matter for any reproduction of me. After that I became very famous.

I am featured in currencies too.

Indeed I was instrumental in making the man in me Mr.X, one of the greatest men of the twentieth century.

Now I have become sort of a symbol which people all over the world recognize for a certain thing.

I am sure you would have seen me in some form or the other say on a T-shirt or a mug.
Ok take this. Mr.X is one the three men in the photo below.




Identify Mr.X.

1 comment:

  1. Mr.X is Che Guevera.
    My name is Guerrillero Heroico.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara_(photo)

    ReplyDelete