Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Trivia #6 : The Guy who made Sachin's debut a dud


I am a Pakistani fast bowler who is considerd to be one of the greatest pace bowlers of all time.

I am famous for my striking ability to reverse swing the ball.

The above photo is one of mine with a fellow player.

I made my test debut on 15, November 1989 against India.

It was on the same day and match that the great Indian master batsman Sachin Tendulkar too made his debut.

It was me who bowled him out for just 15 runs and made his debut a disappointing one.

The story is not yet over. In the India-Pak ODI played on 18, December 1989 which happens to be Sachin's ODI debut, it was again me who sent him back to pavilion without him scoring a single run.

The guy sitting next to me in the above photo took that catch.

I have yet another rare connection with the Indian cricket team. In Anil Kumble's historic 10-wicket-haul record I hold a distinct position. While my entire team crumbled before Kumble's bowling I was the last man standing, the 11th wicket which the cricket rules prohibited Anil from taking.

I have also served as the captain of the Pakistani cricket team.

Lets have a look at my records.

I am the only bowler to have taken 5 wickets/ODI in 3 consecutive ODIs.

I hold the record for the fastest 50, 300, 350 and 400 wickets in ODI matches and the fastest 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350 wickets in Test matches when considered in terms of balls bowled.

I have a batting record too. I have scored a total of 1010 Test runs. The record is that I am the only batsman to have scored over 1000 test runs without having scored a single fifty.

My downside is I was the first player to be found guilty of ball tampering and was fined 50% of my match fee as a penalty.

Identify me.

1 comment:

  1. I am Waqar Younis.
    The scorecard of Sachin's Test debut.

    http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63513.html

    The scorecard of Sachin's ODI debut.

    http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64346.html

    ReplyDelete