Friday, March 27, 2009

Trivia #9 : A Room in Canada that belonged to the World

The title of this trivia may sound confusing. Yes, confusing it is. By the time you finish reading I guess confusion would be replaced by elation as this trivia is about a gesture of extra-ordinary goodwill shown by a country to another in the times of crisis.

Let's start.

I am a country in Europe which is a monarchy.

I became a victim of Adolf Hitler's aggression during WWII.

My entire monarchy fled to UK.

My Princess Juliana along with her children decided to relocate to Ottawa in Canada for the time being. She was then loved by the people of Canada for the simplicity she displayed.

Here started the problem. Princess Juliana became pregnant.

According to my Constitution only if the heirs are born within my territory will they be allowed to accede the throne. Since WWII was raging on, there was no chance of Princess Juliana returing to my territory to give birth. This led to an unfortunate situation in which the child to be born would be rendered ineligible to become the King/Queen of me.

But here's where the government of Canada came in.

The Governor General of Canada, Alexander Cambridge, granted his assent to a special law declaring Princess Juliana's room at the Ottawa Civic Hospital as extraterritorial, which means that though that room is geographically in Canada it is legally not. Because of this special law the baby would have exclusively my nationality and not dual nationality.

The Canadian government then flew my flag on their parliament's Peace Tower while its bells rang out with my anthem at the news of Princess Margriet's birth. The lady in the photo below is the baby which was born in that peculiar hospital room. She is now 9th in the line to the throne.


After WWII ended the members of my monarchy returned back home.

As a token gesture of gratitude, Princess Juliana sent 100,000 tulip flowers to the city of Ottawa. She then sent another 20,500 tulip flowers requesting them to be placed in the garden of that hospital where she gave birth. She then pledged to send 10,000 tulip flowers every year as a gift to Canada.

Even today, Ottawa hosts the world's largest tulip festival in recognition of this endearing bond with my Princess who later became my Queen.

Sounds to be a heart warming story. Isn't it?

Identify me.

1 comment:

  1. It is Netherlands.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_of_the_Netherlands

    ReplyDelete