Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Trivia #15 : My name is now a cricketing verb

1. I am an Indian cricket player.

2. I am an all-rounder. My equally commendable performances in both batting and bowling earned me the distinction of being the only Indian player and one of the only 3 non-English players whose name features in both the batting and bowling honour boards at Lord's.

3. Myself and Pankaj Roy's partnership of 413 runs against New-Zealand in 1956 was the world record for an opening partnership in Tests for 52 years.

4. I am one of the 3 players in Test history to have batted at every batting position.

5. Now comes my unique distinction. I ran out an Australian batsman Bill Brown during the second test of India's tour to Australia in 1947/1948 in a peculiar manner. This earned me the wrath of the Australian press though I had not contravened the rules of cricket. My sportsmanship too was questioned.
But I was finally vindicated when Sir Don Bradman in his autobiography defended me and my action.
As a result of my action, my name has become a verb in the cricketing jargon (of course informally) which denotes the action I did.
Like using Google has become Googling or Googled.

Who am I and what was my action?

2 comments: